Professor James Metson
Deputy Vice Chancellor Research
Jim has had a distinguished research career over 35 years, investigating many aspects of surface and interface science. He has a particular interest in the processing and behaviour of aluminium oxide, especially smelter grade alumina. His wider research interests in surface and materials science include:
- Metal oxides, hydroxides and nitrides in catalysis, semiconductor materials, absorbents and refractories
- Synchrotron radiation and applications in surface and materials science.
- Alumina microstructure and the impacts of alumina properties in aluminium reduction technology.
- Silicon carbide based refractories for aluminium reduction technology
As well as being an Associate Director of LMRC, Jim has several high profile roles:
- Deputy Vice Chancellor Research, The University of Auckland
- Deputy Dean - Faculty of Science, The University of Auckland
- Chief Science Adviser - Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment, New Zealand Government
- Principal Investigator, MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology